A German tourist died Wednesday trying to pose for a photo in a restricted area of Machu Picchu, according to reports.
Oliver Park, 51, slipped from a ledge and fell around 130 ft. as he tried to jump to pose for a photo, according to a Washington Post report. Peruvian officials said the area had been restricted. Park was found dead when rescuers reached him 90 minutes after his fall.
Park is far from the first to die on Machu Picchu. Many others have fallen—or had rocks fall on them—at the UNESCO Heritage Site, according to the report.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Here's What's in the Debt Ceiling Deal
- Matthew Macfadyen on Succession Series Finale
- How Worried Should the World Be of China's New COVID Wave?
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- Why Everyone Is Having Bad Sex (Especially Young People)
- The 30 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2023
- AI Is as Risky as Pandemics and Nuclear War, Top CEOs Say
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction