Christy Sheats, 42, had been on a downward “spiral” since the deaths of her mother and grandfather several years ago, her husband told investigators, according to a report in People. Recently she had taken medicine for depression and anxiety.
Sheats shot her daughters, 22-year-old Taylor and 17-year-old Madison, on June 24 after calling a family meeting ostensibly to talk about her impending divorce from her husband Jason, 45. She reportedly told her husband, “you made me do this.” Christy was shot and killed by police when they responded to the family’s home.
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving