Danielle Brooks went on Jimmy Kimmel Live! Thursday to show everyone what it’s like to be on the receiving end of Oprah Winfrey’s magical touch.
When they first met, the Tony-nominated actress was caught up in the song “Glory,” from Selma at the Essence Black Women in Hollywood event, and Oprah crept behind her and wrapped her up in a hug. “All of a sudden, Mother O comes behind me, why me? I don’t know, and just embraces me,” Brooks explains, acting the whole thing out on Kimmel. “It was just so cool. It was so cool.” Oprah played Sofia in the film version of The Color Purple, and Brooks is currently portraying the character on Broadway.
Did Brooks get to spend time with the empress? Sort of? Oprah basically came and went with that hug like Santa Claus in the night. But from that moment on, nothing was the same, because a hug from Oprah is like a good kind of global warming in that the Earth shifts, and it’s like a hug from the whole world. Watch the video below.
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time