Americans may widely support fireworks, cookouts and days off work, but as we approach July 4, national opinion remains deeply divided over topics like gun control and climate change. This quiz will poll you on 10 questions from the Pew Research Center and tell you how strongly your opinions and habits align with the country at large.
Of course, all Americans are equally “American,” and few things are arguably more patriotic than holding unpopular or fringe opinions. This quiz will simply show you how close you are to the average citizen, based on nationally representative polls. The results may surprise you.
For each question, your score is simply the percentage of Americans who answered the same way as you did in a nationally representative poll. The final score is the average of these values. Thus, answering “yes” to a question in which the vast majority of Americans agree has more weight than a question in which the country is genuinely divided. Some questions were lightly reworded to fit a yes-or-no format.
With research by Rosalie Chan.
- Meet TIME’s Newest Class of Next Generation Leaders
- After Visiting Both Ends of the Earth, I Realized How Much Trouble We’re In
- Google Is Making It Easier to Remove Personal Info From Search
- Oil Companies Posted Huge Profits. Here’s Where The Cash Will Go (Hint: Not Climate)
- Column: We Asked Hundreds of Americans About Abortion. Their Feelings Were Complicated
- A Short History of the Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of the Marcos Family
- Long-Lasting Birth Control Is Already Hard to Get. Advocates Worry It May Only Get Worse
- Who Should Be on the 2022 TIME100? Vote Now