Gudmundur Benediktsson, a soccer commentator for Icelandic television, has become a global sensation for his overjoyed if not hysterical narrations of Iceland’s unlikely victories in the Euro 2016 tournament so far.
The tiny Nordic nation of 330,000 people is through to the quarter finals of the high-profile quadrennial soccer tournament, which is being held in France, after qualifying for the first time ever — and Benediktsson’s delight at Iceland’s performance in the tournament’s went to the next level Monday when, in true David versus Goliath fashion, Iceland beat England 2-1, sending the English home.
“You can leave Europe!” yells Benediktsson, in a reference to the U.K.’s decision last Thursday to vote itself out of the E.U. “You can go wherever the hell you want!”
Icelandic Twitter user Simonarson also offered a translation of Benediktsson’s delighted ravings:
Iceland now face hosts France on Monday.
- Donald Trump Was Just Indicted. Here's What to Know About the Charges and the Case
- What Could Happen Next for Donald Trump
- Trump's Indictment Drama Showcased His Rivals' Weakness
- Inside Ukraine's Push to Try Putin For War Crimes
- Bad Bunny's Next Move
- Elon Musk Signs Open Letter Urging AI Labs to Pump the Brakes
- Eliezer Yudkowsky: Pausing AI Developments Isn't Enough. We Need to Shut it All Down
- 'How Is This Still Happening?' A Survivor Questions America's Gun Violence Problem
- Cheryl Strayed Will Always Be Here for You
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now