The Texas mother who was killed by police after fatally shooting her two daughters on Friday reportedly had a history of mental illness and actively supported gun rights on Facebook.
The Fort Bend County Sheriff spokeswoman Caitilin Espinosa told People that Christy Sheats’ “mental crisis” had brought the police to her home “for previous altercations.” Further details were not provided.
After receiving 911 reports of shots being fired over an alleged family dispute, police arrived at the Sheats’ home shortly after 5 p.m. to find Taylor Sheats, 22, and Madison Sheats, 17, lying on the street. The mother was shot dead after she refused to drop her weapon. One daughter died at the scene, and the other after arriving at the hospital.
While Sheats’ motive is still under investigation, People reports that her Facebook posts indicate that she was an active gun-rights supporter. In January, People says, Sheats uploaded a meme ridiculing Obama’s views on gun control. In March, she reportedly posted an anti-gun-control video with the message, “It would be horribly tragic if my ability to protect myself or my family were to be taken away, but that’s exactly what Democrats are determined to do by banning semiautomatic handguns.”
“We’re still trying to put the pieces together,” Fort Bend County Sheriff Troy Nehls told the Houston Chronicle.
- Global Climate Solutions Exist. It's Time to Deploy Them
- What Happens to Diane Feinstein's Senate Seat
- Who The Golden Bachelor Leaves Out
- Rooftop Solar Power Has a Dark Side
- How Sara Reardon Became the 'Vagina Whisperer'
- Is It Flu, COVID-19, or RSV? Navigating At-Home Tests
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time