Anton Yelchin, 27, film and TV actor who played Chekov in the rebooted Star Trek movies, in a car accident. He also had roles in Terminator Salvation and, most recently, Green Room.
By the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, that the world’s coral reefs are experiencing the “most widespread, largest bleaching event ever.” Triggered by rising ocean temperatures, this bout has killed one-third of all coral in some places since 2014.
Virginia Raggi, 37, as Rome’s youngest and first female mayor. The lawyer belongs to Italy’s anti-establishment movement Five Star, which also won the mayor’s race in Turin and 17 smaller towns in runoff elections.
By golfer Dustin Johnson, the U.S. Open, marking the 32-year-old’s first major title. A controversial call at the 12th tee almost cost him a stroke, prompting golf’s governing body to apologize for the “distraction.”
This appears in the July 04, 2016 issue of TIME.
- Donald Trump Was Just Indicted. Here's What to Know About the Charges and the Case
- What Could Happen Next for Donald Trump
- Trump's Indictment Drama Showcased His Rivals' Weakness
- Inside Ukraine's Push to Try Putin For War Crimes
- Bad Bunny's Next Move
- Elon Musk Signs Open Letter Urging AI Labs to Pump the Brakes
- Eliezer Yudkowsky: Pausing AI Developments Isn't Enough. We Need to Shut it All Down
- 'How Is This Still Happening?' A Survivor Questions America's Gun Violence Problem
- Cheryl Strayed Will Always Be Here for You
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now