Anton Yelchin, 27, film and TV actor who played Chekov in the rebooted Star Trek movies, in a car accident. He also had roles in Terminator Salvation and, most recently, Green Room.
By the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, that the world’s coral reefs are experiencing the “most widespread, largest bleaching event ever.” Triggered by rising ocean temperatures, this bout has killed one-third of all coral in some places since 2014.
Virginia Raggi, 37, as Rome’s youngest and first female mayor. The lawyer belongs to Italy’s anti-establishment movement Five Star, which also won the mayor’s race in Turin and 17 smaller towns in runoff elections.
By golfer Dustin Johnson, the U.S. Open, marking the 32-year-old’s first major title. A controversial call at the 12th tee almost cost him a stroke, prompting golf’s governing body to apologize for the “distraction.”
This appears in the July 04, 2016 issue of TIME.
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow