Frank Ocean took to his Tumblr on Tuesday to post a heartfelt response to the Orlando shooting. In the powerful post, the reclusive singer (who has not released an album since his groundbreaking 2012 Channel Orange) eloquently reflects on homophobia, violence, religion, and remembers a transphobic moment from his childhood.
Ocean’s touching response addresses not only the tragedy of Pulse nightclub mass shooting, but also North Carolina’s “bathroom bill” and the state of mental health for members of the LGBT community, noting that, “Many hate us and wish we didn’t exist.”
Ocean closes with a hope for a better future.
“I daydream on the idea that maybe all this barbarism and all these transgressions against ourselves is an equal and opposite reaction to something better happening in this world, some great swelling wave of openness and wakefulness out here.”
Read the post in full on Ocean’s Tumblr or below.
- Bad Bunny's Next Move
- 'How Is This Still Happening?' A Survivor Questions America's Gun Violence Problem
- Nicole Chung: The Person I Became After My Father's Death
- Can Birth Control Help Solve the World's Rat Problem?
- About That Devastating Tom-Shiv Scene in Succession's Premiere
- Why Humza Yousaf's Win Is 'Historic' for Scotland
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement