Every year, a group of songs compete to be crowned the ultimate song of the summer: that one anthem that will come to dominate the airwaves and be the background jam to all your sun-drenched memories. In 2016, the field feels especially crowded, with offerings from pop heavy-hitters like Drake (with a song called “Summer Sixteen,” he’s basically begging for it), Rihanna, Calvin Harris, Beyoncé and Justin Timberlake all clambering to claim the title.
Luckily, there’s a happy compromise with DJ Earworm’s new “Summersmash ’16” mashup. The DJ is best known for his inevitably-viral end-of-year mashups, the “United State of Pop,” which cut together the year’s top tunes in a catchy send-off to the calendar year — a neat cultural artifact. So it only makes sense that he’d apply his skills to the field of summer favorites, resulting in a surprisingly seamless summer jam that will satisfy (almost) all your friends at once.
Now we can all just get along, right?
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving