The Federal Bureau of Investigations released details of Omar Mateen’s engagements with police during the Orlando nightclub shooting on June 12 as well as a partial transcript of his calls. In calls to police, the shooter was described as “calm” and “deliberate,” telling dispatchers he was responsible for the brutal attack that left 49 dead and 53 injured. The shooter also pledged allegiance to ISIS during the attack, though the FBI redacted all of the references to the terror network in the transcript.
On Monday afternoon, in the wake of criticism mainly from Republican leaders, the FBI and U.S. Department of Justice issued the un-redacted transcript of Mateen’s call with 911. The updated version of the call is included below.
Read the full transcript and timeline below, via the FBI.
- More Must-Reads From TIME
- AI Is Not an Arms Race
- Here's What's in the Debt Ceiling Deal
- Matthew Macfadyen on Succession Series Finale
- How Worried Should the World Be of China's New COVID Wave?
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- Why Everyone Is Having Bad Sex (Especially Young People)
- The 30 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2023
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction