The Federal Bureau of Investigations released details of Omar Mateen’s engagements with police during the Orlando nightclub shooting on June 12 as well as a partial transcript of his calls. In calls to police, the shooter was described as “calm” and “deliberate,” telling dispatchers he was responsible for the brutal attack that left 49 dead and 53 injured. The shooter also pledged allegiance to ISIS during the attack, though the FBI redacted all of the references to the terror network in the transcript.
On Monday afternoon, in the wake of criticism mainly from Republican leaders, the FBI and U.S. Department of Justice issued the un-redacted transcript of Mateen’s call with 911. The updated version of the call is included below.
Read the full transcript and timeline below, via the FBI.
- More Must-Reads From TIME
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2022
- I Tested Positive for COVID-19 Right Before the Holidays. What Should I Do?
- Column: How To Create a Sense of Belonging In a Divided America
- How to Survive the Holidays if You're a Scrooge
- Life Expectancy Provides Evidence of How Far Black Americans Have Come
- The 10 Best Albums of 2022
- Iran Has a Long History of Protest and Activism
- 6 Ways to Give Better Gifts—Based on Science