The Federal Bureau of Investigations released details of Omar Mateen’s engagements with police during the Orlando nightclub shooting on June 12 as well as a partial transcript of his calls. In calls to police, the shooter was described as “calm” and “deliberate,” telling dispatchers he was responsible for the brutal attack that left 49 dead and 53 injured. The shooter also pledged allegiance to ISIS during the attack, though the FBI redacted all of the references to the terror network in the transcript.
On Monday afternoon, in the wake of criticism mainly from Republican leaders, the FBI and U.S. Department of Justice issued the un-redacted transcript of Mateen’s call with 911. The updated version of the call is included below.
Read the full transcript and timeline below, via the FBI.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow