Warning: This post contains spoilers for the sixth season of Game of Thrones.
“Battle of the Bastards,” the ninth episode of Game of Thrones‘ sixth season, saw the long-awaited showdown between Jon Snow and Ramsay Bolton finally take place, culminating in Ramsay’s death at the hands of Sansa Stark. But before she watched her barbaric husband be devoured by the hounds he had set loose on so many others, the two had a conversation that seemed to foreshadow Sansa’s future. “Our time together is about to come to an end.” Ramsay told her. “That’s all right. You can’t kill me. I’m part of you now.”
Some fans interpreted this line literally, viewing it as evidence that Sansa is pregnant with Ramsay’s child — a twist that many believe was first hinted at during Sansa’s conversation with Littlefinger in the season’s fifth episode. “The other things he did, ladies aren’t supposed to talk about those things, but I imagine brothel keepers talk about them all the time,” she told her former guardian in reference to her rape. “I can still feel it. I don’t mean in my tender heart it still pains me so. I can still feel what he did in my body standing here right now.”
However, others took Ramsay’s message in a metaphorical sense, seeing it as a sign that Sansa’s ruthless side — while once seemingly nonexistent — has now been permanently awakened. Sansa denied him to the end — “Your words will disappear. Your house will disappear. Your name will disappear. All memory of you will disappear.” — but as she walked away with the ghost of a smile on her face, it was clear that the naive girl who left Winterfell back in season one is gone for good.
“The Winds of Winter,” the tenth episode of Game of Thrones‘ sixth season airs Sunday at 9 p.m. E.T. on HBO.
- Extreme Heat Makes It Hard for Kids to Be Active. But Exercise Is Crucial In a Warming World
- Pelosi's Visit to Taiwan Has Badly Damaged U.S.-China Relations, But Not Irreversibly
- Reality TV Has Reshaped Our World, Whether We Like It or Not
- Progress Is Not A Given. It is Won: The Connection Between James Baldwin and Toni Morrison
- The Inflation Reduction Act's Name Says A Lot About The Climate Fight
- How Reservation Dogs Became More than Just Must-See Television in Its Second Season
- The U.S Will Soon Have Space Force Ambassadors Around the World