The gunman who attacked an Orlando gay nightclub, leaving 49 dead on Sunday spoke to police by phone during the incident and told them he would strap explosives to hostages inside the building, according to the city’s mayor.
Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer said Wednesday that people trapped inside the building also warned family members and 911 operators that the shooter, Omar Mateen, was threatening to use bombs and an explosive vest, the New York Times reported.
Law enforcement officials have not yet found evidence of any explosives in the building, according to the Times.
“We had a lot of information from the inside and they independently were saying yes, the bomber is about to put on an explosive vest,” Dyer said.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Katie Reilly at Katie.Reilly@time.com