President Obama spoke about the fight against the Islamic State, the Orlando shooting and Donald Trump’s proposed ban on Muslims coming to the United States in a forceful speech after his National Security Council meeting Tuesday.
“Are we going to start treating all Muslim-Americans differently?” he said. “Are we going to start subjecting them to special surveillance? Are we going to start discriminate them, because of their faith? We heard these suggestions during the course of this campaign. Do Republican officials actually agree with this?”
Here is a full transcript of the speech.
- Here's Where All The Strongest Hurricanes Have Hit the U.S. in the Past 50 Years
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- Here Are the 12 New Books You Should Read in October
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out