President Obama spoke about the fight against the Islamic State, the Orlando shooting and Donald Trump’s proposed ban on Muslims coming to the United States in a forceful speech after his National Security Council meeting Tuesday.
“Are we going to start treating all Muslim-Americans differently?” he said. “Are we going to start subjecting them to special surveillance? Are we going to start discriminate them, because of their faith? We heard these suggestions during the course of this campaign. Do Republican officials actually agree with this?”
Here is a full transcript of the speech.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Trump Indicted in Classified Docs Case
- Jason Isbell Is Finding His Purpose
- In Photos: How Wildfire Smoke Impacted Cities
- How Antitrust Laws Could Kill the PGA-LIV Golf Merger
- Why Berberine Is Not 'Nature's Ozempic'
- How a Texas High Jumper Has Earned Nearly $1 Million
- The Best Shows to Stream on (HBO) Max
- 9 Ways to Combat Self-Criticism