The first to engage the shooter was Officer Adam Gruler, a member of OPD since 2001. He was working “extra duty” (working for the nightclub as a police officer; OPD allows off-duty officers to supplement their income with private security work in this way). He exchanged shots with the shooter, who then moved farther into the club.
The other officers and SWAT members who later showed up on the scene were Lieutenant Scott Smith, Sergeant Jeffrey Backhaus, Officer Timothy Stanley, Officer Kevin Easterling, Officer Andrew Bishop, Sergeant James Parker, Detective Raul Rivas, Lieutenant Jonathan Bigelow, Officer Ricardo Duenas and Officer Michael Napolitano, whose Kevlar helmet was hit in the shootout.
- The Fall of Roe and the Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- What Trump Knew About January 6
- Follow the Algae Brick Road to Plant-Based Buildings
- The Education of Glenn Youngkin
- The Benefits and Challenges of Cutting Back on Meat
- Here's Everything New on Netflix in July 2022—and What's Leaving
- Women in Northern Ireland Still Struggle to Access Abortion More Than 2 Years After Decriminalization