The 10-time Grammy winner started crying after dedicating the concert to the victims of the shooting at the Pulse gay nightclub in Orlando — the largest mass shooting in U.S. history, which left 50 dead and 53 wounded.
“I would like to start tonight by dedicating this entire show to everybody in Orlando at Pulse nightclub,” the singer said. “The LGBTQA community, they’re like my soulmates since I was really young, so I’m really moved by it,” she concluded before breaking into tears.
She later cracked a bittersweet joke at her own songbook.
“I don’t know why I’m crying already because most of tonight is pretty miserable because my songs are f—ing miserable.”
Watch the full clip below.
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving