Top French cosmetic brand Lancôme has shuttered several stores for the day in Hong Kong in the face of a growing backlash against its decision to scrap a promotional concert featuring a local singer who is also a prominent advocate of democracy.
Dozens of protesters gathered in front of Times Square mall in Hong Kong Wednesday afternoon local time to protest Lancôme’s cancelation of a performance by musician Denise Ho, described Monday by the Chinese state-linked Global Times as a “controversial” advocate of greater political freedom for Hong Kong and Tibet
Lancôme promptly released a statement on Facebook stipulating that “Denise Ho is not a spokesperson of Lancôme. We are sorry for the confusion caused.”
Ho countered on her Facebook page, demanding that Lancome’s French head office explain itself. “Freedom, justice, and equality have always been the pursuits of Hong Kong people. If we are punished for these pursuits, it is no longer just about me, but a serious corruption of our values. When even such a global brand as Lancôme has to kneel before this kind of oppression, we cannot but take this problem very seriously.”
Others are less surprised, given that China is a much bigger market for the brand than Hong Kong. “This is the Chinese government exercising their economic might,” Avery Ng, chairman of the League of Social Democrats told TIME.
A French petition is circulating online with over 4,600 signatures demanding the cosmetic giant reverse its decision. The brand is also facing calls for a consumer boycott in Hong Kong.
- Volodymyr Zelensky and the Spirit of Ukraine: TIME's 2022 Person of the Year
- Mickey Guyton Is TIME's 2022 Breakthrough Artist of the Year
- The 10 Best Nonfiction Books of 2022
- Column: What Elon Musk Gets Wrong About Free Speech
- The Forgotten Story of One of the First U.S. Soldiers Killed Overseas After Pearl Harbor
- Why You're More Likely to Get Sick in the Winter, According to New Research
- Column: What the Protests Tell Us About China's Future
- 18 Last-Minute Gifts for Everyone on Your List