The newly-elected leader encouraged residents to help in the government’s fight against crime and the illegal drug trade during a nationally-televised speech, CBS News reports. “Please feel free to call us, the police, or do it yourself if you have the gun—you have my support,” said Duterte, 71.
“You can kill him,” he said of drug dealers who show violent resistance. “Shoot him and I’ll give you a medal.”
Duterte won the presidential election last month. He has previously said he intends to bring back capital punishment and may give police shoot-to-kill powers.
- How the Biden Administration Lost Its Way
- Hanya Yanagihara Is Never Going to Read Your Mean Tweets
- Inside Finland's Plan to End All Waste by 2050
- Chloe Kim Is Ready to Win Olympic Gold Again—On Her Own Terms
- Asia Has Kept COVID-19 at Bay for 2 Years. Omicron Could Change That
- Investors Are Sinking Real Money Into Virtual Real Estate, With No Guarantees
- The Man Putin Fears