The newly-elected leader encouraged residents to help in the government’s fight against crime and the illegal drug trade during a nationally-televised speech, CBS News reports. “Please feel free to call us, the police, or do it yourself if you have the gun—you have my support,” said Duterte, 71.
“You can kill him,” he said of drug dealers who show violent resistance. “Shoot him and I’ll give you a medal.”
Duterte won the presidential election last month. He has previously said he intends to bring back capital punishment and may give police shoot-to-kill powers.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time