The newly-elected leader encouraged residents to help in the government’s fight against crime and the illegal drug trade during a nationally-televised speech, CBS News reports. “Please feel free to call us, the police, or do it yourself if you have the gun—you have my support,” said Duterte, 71.
“You can kill him,” he said of drug dealers who show violent resistance. “Shoot him and I’ll give you a medal.”
Duterte won the presidential election last month. He has previously said he intends to bring back capital punishment and may give police shoot-to-kill powers.
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time