Boxing legend Muhammad Ali has been hospitalized with a respiratory issue, his rep said Thursday.
The 74-year-old former heavyweight champion was in fair condition, but was only expected to be in the hospital for a “brief” stay, according to a statement.
Ali, who has been battling advanced Parkinson’s disease, has made few public appearances in recent years. Last September, he attended an awards ceremony by the University of Louisville honoring his prolific boxing career and legacy as a hometown hero. The Muhammad Ali Childhood Home Museum in Louisville opened earlier this month.
Ali was previously hospitalized for several days in…
- Meet TIME’s Newest Class of Next Generation Leaders
- After Visiting Both Ends of the Earth, I Realized How Much Trouble We’re In
- Google Is Making It Easier to Remove Personal Info From Search
- Oil Companies Posted Huge Profits. Here’s Where The Cash Will Go (Hint: Not Climate)
- Column: We Asked Hundreds of Americans About Abortion. Their Feelings Were Complicated
- A Short History of the Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of the Marcos Family
- Long-Lasting Birth Control Is Already Hard to Get. Advocates Worry It May Only Get Worse
- Who Should Be on the 2022 TIME100? Vote Now