The organization in charge of approving new emojis has selected 72 new ones that will roll out later this month and undoubtedly enhance your text messages.
Some highlights of the emoji additions include an avocado, an arm taking a selfie, a face palm, a pregnant woman, a dancing man and a face with a Pinocchio-esque nose. Another emoji offers a visual depiction of ROFL, meaning “rolling on the floor laughing.” And some of them are sure to come in handy ahead of the Summer Olympic Games—gymnast; fencer; and gold, silver and bronze medals.
The Unicode Consortium made a final decision to include these new emoji at a recent meeting. The complex process for approving new emoji involves thousand-word proposals and multiple committee votes.
- Here’s How Effective the Original Vaccines Are Against Omicron
- The Promise—And Possible Perils—of Editing What We Say Online
- How Trump Survived Decades of Legal Trouble: Deny, Deflect, Delay, and Don't Put Anything in Writing
- Flint Is Still Shaken by its Water Crisis—and Residents Are Experiencing Long-Term Mental-Health Issues
- A Beer Shortage Is Brewing. A Volcano Is Partly to Blame
- How Fasting Can—and Can't—Improve Gut Health
- Cities Keep Enforcing Curfews for Teens, Despite Evidence They Don't Stop Crime
- Joe Manchin’s Red Tape Reform Could Supercharge Renewable Energy in the U.S.
- Column: We Should Talk More About What a Brilliant Actor Marilyn Monroe Was