The organization in charge of approving new emojis has selected 72 new ones that will roll out later this month and undoubtedly enhance your text messages.
Some highlights of the emoji additions include an avocado, an arm taking a selfie, a face palm, a pregnant woman, a dancing man and a face with a Pinocchio-esque nose. Another emoji offers a visual depiction of ROFL, meaning “rolling on the floor laughing.” And some of them are sure to come in handy ahead of the Summer Olympic Games—gymnast; fencer; and gold, silver and bronze medals.
The Unicode Consortium made a final decision to include these new emoji at a recent meeting. The complex process for approving new emoji involves thousand-word proposals and multiple committee votes.
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time