Children returning home from school must climb more than 2,500 feet to reach their village of Atuleer, in Sichuan province, the Associated Press reports. They are members of the Yi minority, a poor group that subsists mainly by farming potatoes, walnuts and chili peppers. After photos of the children surfaced online and in the Chinese press, the Liangshan prefectural government, which oversees the county where the children live, said that a set of stairs would be built while officials mull a long-term solution.
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- U.S. Doctors Can't Be Silent About Gaza: Column
- The Movie Wives Would Like a Word
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time