DO YOUR RESEARCH
The website foodsafety.gov/recalls tracks brands and products that have been contaminated; make sure to check it before you shop.
WASH YOUR FRUITS AND VEGGIES
Health authorities recommend scrubbing harder produce, such as melons and cucumbers, with a bristled produce brush to get rid of germs.
BE CAREFUL WITH LEFTOVERS
Listeria can grow over time in fridges, so it’s important to consume precooked foods fairly quickly; hot dogs, for example, shouldn’t be kept more than a week.
This appears in the June 06, 2016 issue of TIME.
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time