DO YOUR RESEARCH
The website foodsafety.gov/recalls tracks brands and products that have been contaminated; make sure to check it before you shop.
WASH YOUR FRUITS AND VEGGIES
Health authorities recommend scrubbing harder produce, such as melons and cucumbers, with a bristled produce brush to get rid of germs.
BE CAREFUL WITH LEFTOVERS
Listeria can grow over time in fridges, so it’s important to consume precooked foods fairly quickly; hot dogs, for example, shouldn’t be kept more than a week.
This appears in the June 06, 2016 issue of TIME.
- Extreme Heat Makes It Hard for Kids to Be Active. But Exercise Is Crucial In a Warming World
- Pelosi's Visit to Taiwan Has Badly Damaged U.S.-China Relations, But Not Irreversibly
- Reality TV Has Reshaped Our World, Whether We Like It or Not
- Progress Is Not A Given. It is Won: The Connection Between James Baldwin and Toni Morrison
- The Inflation Reduction Act's Name Says A Lot About The Climate Fight
- How Reservation Dogs Became More than Just Must-See Television in Its Second Season
- The U.S Will Soon Have Space Force Ambassadors Around the World