Actor Elijah Wood, who starred in the Lord of the Rings films, drew attention to the sexual abuse of minors in Hollywood in an interview published in a British newspaper Sunday.
The 35-year-old actor, who earned his first movie role when he was 8, compared the abuse of minors in Hollywood to the Jimmy Savile pedophilia scandal in Britain while speaking to the Sunday Times. “Jesus, it must have been devastating,” Wood told the newspaper. “Clearly something major was going on in Hollywood. It was all organized. There are a lot of vipers in this industry — people who only have their own interests in mind.”
“I’ve been led down dark paths to realize that these things probably are still happening,” he said.
In a statement released to the Hollywood Reporter Monday, the actor said that his comments to the Sunday Times about sex abuse in Hollywood had been misinterpreted.
“As I made absolutely clear to the writer, I have no firsthand experience or observation of the topic, so I cannot speak with any authority beyond articles I have read and films I have seen,” Wood said.
- About That Devastating Tom-Shiv Scene in Succession's Premiere
- Why Humza Yousaf's Win Is 'Historic' for Scotland
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement