Nick Menza, a former drummer for the metal band Megadeth, has died after he collapsed on stage during a show in California. He was 51.
Menza, who was a member of the band OHM, was performing at a Los Angeles-area club on Saturday when he suddenly collapsed and couldn’t be revived, CNN reports. J. Marshall Craig, a family spokesman, on Sunday confirmed the death to the Associated Press.
The news shocked many in the music industry, including Megadeth’s frontman Dave Mustaine, who tweeted that he was “gutted” upon hearing it. “Tell me this isn’t true,” he wrote on Twitter.
Megadeth paid tribute to its fallen former member on its website Sunday. “In Remembrance of Nick Menza,” the page says.
The cause of death is unclear. However, Craig said a heart attack is suspected, according to the AP.
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- What Reading 220 History Textbooks Taught One Scholar About Racism in America
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out
- How DeSantis Handles Hurricane Ian Will Shape His Political Future
- 6 Groups Making Mental Health Care More Accessible to People of Color