A person was shot outside the White House in Washington, D.C., on Friday, law enforcement authorities said.
The U.S. Park Police posted on Twitter shortly after 3 p.m. that there had been a shooting on West Executive Drive, near 17th and Pennsylvania Avenue—not far from the White House. President Barack Obama was not there at the time, CNN reported.
The victim was taken to a hospital in critical condition, CNN reported, citing a fire department spokesman.
- Effective Altruism Promises to Do Good Better. These Women Say It Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- From Jan. 6 to Tyre Nichols, American Life Is Still Defined by Caste
- As People Return to Offices, It’s Back to Miserable for America’s Working Moms
- The Real Reason Florida Wants to Ban AP African-American Studies, According to an Architect of the Course
- Column: Tyre Nichols' Killing Is The Result of a Diseased Culture
- Without Evusheld, Immunocompromised People Are on Their Own Against COVID-19
- Column: America Goes About Juvenile Crime Sentencing All Wrong
- Why Your Tax Refund May Be Lower This Year