From hosting the campy yet beloved Sonny and Cher show to giving us gems like Moonstruck and Mermaids to becoming Twitter’s most outspoken (and beloved) commentator to pioneering autotune, Cher’s legacy is indisputable. However, it’s not just the entertainment industry that has been blessed by the cultural phenomenon known as Cher; the now septuagenarian has forever changed the way we see celebrity fashion.
As with her singing and her acting, Cher took risks with her style — and subsequently became a fashion icon. As she once sagely said, “Until you’re ready to look foolish, you’ll never have the possibility of being great.”
Each decade of Cher’s career has brought unforgettable fashion statements; from her dreamy boho and blue jeans-clad glamour in the ‘60s to the mohawks, towering headdresses, and sheer bedazzled Bob Mackie looks of the ‘80s (call her the OG of the “naked dress“) and everything in between, Cher’s style choices were both fabulous and fearless, the physical embodiment of her dynamic confidence.
As we celebrate seven fabulous decades with the one and only Cher, turn back time with some of her most iconic looks above.
- Extreme Heat Makes It Hard for Kids to Be Active. But Exercise Is Crucial In a Warming World
- Pelosi's Visit to Taiwan Has Badly Damaged U.S.-China Relations, But Not Irreversibly
- Reality TV Has Reshaped Our World, Whether We Like It or Not
- Progress Is Not A Given. It is Won: The Connection Between James Baldwin and Toni Morrison
- The Inflation Reduction Act's Name Says A Lot About The Climate Fight
- How Reservation Dogs Became More than Just Must-See Television in Its Second Season
- The U.S Will Soon Have Space Force Ambassadors Around the World