This month marks the anniversaries of two of Tom Cruise‘s most memorable roles: There’s the one that made him a bona fide movie star—as Maverick in the flight school drama Top Gun, released on May 16, 1986—and the one that cemented his place at the center of a billion-dollar action franchise—as Ethan Hunt in the original Mission Impossible, released on May 22, 1996. But the 53-year-old actor has had enough iconic roles to populate a small village of characters, from a vampire to a brash Hollywood studio exec to a sports agent completed by Renée Zellweger. As Cruise prepares for a slew of potential hits—a sixth Mission Impossible, a reboot of The Mummy and possibly even a Top Gun sequel—here’s a look back at his most iconic roles.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- How Tech Giants Turned Ukraine Into an AI War Lab
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Eliza Berman at email@example.com