Donald Trump’s campaign denounced Thursday “horrible statements” made by his longtime butler Anthony Senecal calling for President Obama to be killed.
“To all my friends on FB, just a short note to you on our pus headed ‘president’ !!!! This character who I refer to as zero (0) should have been taken out by our military and shot as an enemy agent in his first term !!!!!” Senecal wrote in a post on Wednesday, made public by Mother Jones. “Instead he still remains in office doing every thing he can to gut the America we all know and love !!!!!”
The Trump campaign has criticized Senecal’s comments, calling them “horrible.”
“Tony Senecal has not worked at Mar-a-Lago for years, but nevertheless we totally and completely disavow the horrible statements made by him,” according to a statement released Thursday by a campaign spokesperson.
The Secret Service has said it will investigate Senecal’s statements.
“The U.S. Secret Service is aware of this matter and will conduct the appropriate investigation,” agency spokesman Robert Hoback wrote in a statement, according to the Hill.
Senecal, who is 74 and now the unofficial historian at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate, confirmed to Mother Jones that he authored the Facebook posts. In other postings, the butler called for a “second American revolution,” referred to Obama a “Kenyan fraud,” and said the President should be “hung for treason.”
Senecal has also claimed on Facebook that Obama is a Muslim, and said Muslims are “invading our country.”
- Meet TIME’s Newest Class of Next Generation Leaders
- After Visiting Both Ends of the Earth, I Realized How Much Trouble We’re In
- Google Is Making It Easier to Remove Personal Info From Search
- Oil Companies Posted Huge Profits. Here’s Where The Cash Will Go (Hint: Not Climate)
- Column: We Asked Hundreds of Americans About Abortion. Their Feelings Were Complicated
- A Short History of the Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of the Marcos Family
- Long-Lasting Birth Control Is Already Hard to Get. Advocates Worry It May Only Get Worse
- Who Should Be on the 2022 TIME100? Vote Now