Every year, humans waste billions of pieces of plastic flatware, which clog landfills and hurt the environment. So Indian startup Bakeys invented a line of forks, spoons and chopsticks that can double as dessert. The cutlery, made from hearty sorghum flour, is baked until nearly all its moisture is gone, meaning it’s strong enough to handle hot soup. And it comes in three flavors: savory (like a cracker), sweet (like an ice cream cone) and plain (like a wafer), all of which have sold well in India. Now Bakeys is focused on new markets; it recently raised more than $278,000 on Kickstarter for a global expansion.
For more on these ideas, visit time.com/ideas
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time