The presumptive President of the Philippines, Rodrigo Duterte, showed a softer side on Tuesday morning when he visited his parents’ tomb.
After it became apparent that he would be the country’s next leader, the 71-year-old mayor of Davao paid respects at his parents’ tomb and cried as he spoke to them, saying in the local Bisaya dialect: “help me Mum, I’m just a nobody,” the Associated Press reports. Video footage of the visit was posted to Facebook and widely circulated.
The former lawyer and prosecutor, whom John Oliver has described as the “Trump of the East,” ran a populist campaign that included death threats and rape jokes. According to the AP, his campaign manager says the brash image and obscenity was just a way to attract voters.
- The Case for Mediocrity
- How Russia Is Recruiting Cubans to Fight in Ukraine
- Paul Hollywood Answers All of Your Questions About The Great British Baking Show
- Meet the 2023 TIME100 Next: the Emerging Leaders Shaping the World
- Oprah and Arthur C. Brooks: How to Separate Work From Your Identity
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- You Don’t Have to Like Wrestling to Love Netflix’s Excellent Wrestlers
- The Most Anticipated Books, Movies, TV, and Music of Fall 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time