President Obama called on graduates of a historically black college in Washington, D.C., to pay it forward in a commencement address Saturday.
Speaking at Howard University, Obama reflected on his status as the first African-American president, noting that the college’s mission was to “ensure those firsts were not the last.”
Here’s a full transcript of his remarks.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- The Inside Story of Princeton's Cinderella Run at March Madness
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement