Harry Styles did what many deemed the unthinkable on Friday afternoon, when he chopped off his hair. That’s right, the One Direction member has nixed those luscious locks of his, thereby removing his one source of power and beginning his descent into pop star obscurity.
While that is obviously not true, from the way some of his fans are reacting online, you would think this haircut signals the end of the world as we know it.
Styles made the announcement by posting an Instagram of himself holding up his severed ponytail with the caption, “Whoops.”
However, as far as reasons go, the 22-year-old singer has a pretty good one. Judging by the hashtag accompanying the photo, his hair is being donated to Little Princess Trust, a British charity that makes wigs for children who have experienced hair loss due to cancer treatment.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Megan McCluskey at email@example.com