Madge made headlines when she showed up to Monday’s Met Gala in a very sheer Givenchy look that bared both her chest and her backside. The daring (but very-on brand) look for the singer, however, garnered its share of critics — most of them commenting on how revealing it was for a woman her age.
The singer took to Instagram on Wednesday to defend her fashion choices, calling her Met Gala ensemble a “political statement” in the fight for gender equality.
Madonna noted in her caption, “The fact that people actually believe a woman is not allowed to express her sexuality and be adventurous past a certain age is proof that we still live in an age-ist and sexist society. I have never thought in a limited way and I’m not going to start,” she wrote. “If you have a problem with the way I dress it is simply a reflection of your prejudice. I’m not afraid to pave the way for all the girls behind me.”
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time