Madge made headlines when she showed up to Monday’s Met Gala in a very sheer Givenchy look that bared both her chest and her backside. The daring (but very-on brand) look for the singer, however, garnered its share of critics — most of them commenting on how revealing it was for a woman her age.
The singer took to Instagram on Wednesday to defend her fashion choices, calling her Met Gala ensemble a “political statement” in the fight for gender equality.
Madonna noted in her caption, “The fact that people actually believe a woman is not allowed to express her sexuality and be adventurous past a certain age is proof that we still live in an age-ist and sexist society. I have never thought in a limited way and I’m not going to start,” she wrote. “If you have a problem with the way I dress it is simply a reflection of your prejudice. I’m not afraid to pave the way for all the girls behind me.”
- Employers Take Note: Young Workers Are Seeking Jobs with a Higher Purpose
- Signs Are Pointing to a Slowdown in the Housing Market—At Last
- Welcome to the Era of Unapologetic Bad Taste
- As the Virus Evolves, COVID-19 Reinfections Are Going to Keep Happening
- A New York Mosque Becomes a Refuge for Afghan Teens Who Fled Without Their Families
- High Gas Prices are Oil Companies' Fault says Ro Khanna, and Democrats Should Go After Them
- Two Million Cases: COVID-19 May Finally Force North Korea to Open Up