The video shows American troops engaging in the firefight and taking cover behind a pickup truck. A Kurdish officer that participated in the battle provided the Guardian with the footage, according to the newspaper.
The footage comes despite insistence by the U.S. government that ground troops in Iraq serve an advisory purpose and are not meant to engage in combat. The White House has sent as many as 5,500 troops to the region in an advisory capacity in recent years.
“Our men and women on the ground in Iraq do not have a combat mission,” said White House press secretary Josh Earnest, according to the Guardian. “But they do have a dangerous mission to operate in a dangerous country.”
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve