By the White House, that President Obama’s older daughter Malia will enroll at Harvard University in 2017 after taking a year off.
Puerto Rico, on most of a $422 million debt payment, in the U.S. territory’s biggest default yet. Congress is considering a debt-restructuring plan.
The elephant act at Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey circus, amid pressure from animal-rights activists.
From Miami to Havana, the first cruise ship to travel between the U.S. and Cuba in almost four decades.
Conrad Burns, 81, former Republican U.S. Senator from Montana. He served three terms before losing in a bid for re-election.
• Daniel Berrigan, 94, Jesuit priest, award-winning poet and antiwar activist who was featured on a 1971 cover of TIME with his brother Philip while the two were in prison for burning Vietnam draft records with napalm.
This appears in the May 16, 2016 issue of TIME.
- Inside the Massive Effort to Change the Way Kids Are Taught to Read
- Dubai's Real Estate Market is Booming. One Company is Making It Possible to Invest From Anywhere in the World
- How to Exercise When It's Really Hot Outside
- A New Documentary Sheds Light on a Pivotal Movement in Asian American History
- Far From Home: Afghan Women are Attempting to Build New Lives Abroad
- What Experts Say About How Valuable The Inflation Reduction Act's Green Subsidies Will Be
- What to Know About Long COVID in Kids
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer