If you watched the final Round 1 game between the Miami Heat and the Charlotte Hornets this weekend, you probably caught Dwayne Wade tearing up during the National Anthem. Wade’s emotional state wasn’t nerves for the game, however — it turns out that the 13 season NBA champ has just learned that he was Prince‘s favorite basketball player.
Wade took to Twitter last night to explain his waterworks, which were apparently triggered by listening to a recent radio interview with the late legendary musician.
Prince singling out Wade as his favorite baller was a compliment of the highest order and not just because of the artist’s icon status; the Purple One was a talented basketball player himself, playing the game throughout high school and perhaps most memorably beating Charlie and Eddie Murphy in a now-legendary pickup game that eventually became a beloved Dave Chapelle skit. You can listen to the full audio of Damaris Lewis’ interview with Prince below.
- Yes, Climate Change Is Making Storms Like Hurricane Ian Worse
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- What Reading 220 History Textbooks Taught One Scholar About Racism in America
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out
- How DeSantis Handles Hurricane Ian Will Shape His Political Future