A second refugee at an Australian detention center on the island of Nauru set herself on fire, just days after another man died from injuries he sustained in his own self-immolation attempt.
The 21-year-old woman, known as Hadon, is suffering from severe burns and is being treated at the Nauruan hospital. The Nauru government responded to these suicide attempts by saying it is “distressed that refugees are attempting such dreadful acts in order to attempt to influence the Australian Government’s immigration policies,” the Guardian reports.
Australia’s detention system has been deeply troubled in recent months, and the government is under pressure to make serious changes to its policy.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at email@example.com