The musical broke the record previously set by The Producers and Billy Elliot, which were tied for the most Tony nominations ever received by one show after netting 15 each.
Hamilton is joined in the Best New Musical category by Bright Star, Waitress, School of Rock and Shuffle Along, Or The Making of the Musical Sensation of 1921 and All That Followed. Should it lose, it would be one of the biggest upsets in the award’s history.
Hamilton also clinched nominations for original score, direction, choreography and performances by an actor and actress in both the leading role and featured role categories.
The award show will be broadcast on June 12, hosted by James Corden on CBS.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at email@example.com