The Dark Knight and the Clown Prince of Crime are each vying to get the last laugh — the very last laugh — in the first trailer for Batman: The Killing Joke, the direct-to-video animated movie based on the infamous Alan Moore comic.
“I’ve been thinking about you and me,” a grave Batman (voiced by Kevin Conroy) tells the Joker (Mark Hamill). “About how this is going to end. About who will end up killing who.”
As the Joker bursts into diabolical laughter, the trailer glimpses some of the violent tableaux that will be instantly recognizable to readers of the original 1988 comic, which involves the Joker taunting Batman by capturing and torturing Batgirl (Tara Strong).
EW broke the news earlier this month that the animated adaptation will be rated R, and Warner Bros. Animation has pledged to remain faithful to the still-polarizing story, which the company said “is revered by the fans, particularly for its blunt, often-shocking adult themes and situations.”
Batman: The Killing Joke will world premiere at Comic-Con International in San Diego this summer, with a release on Blu-ray, DVD, and Digital HD to follow later in the year. Watch the trailer above.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The 13 Best New Books to Read in March
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at email@example.com