TIME 100 honoree Melissa McCarthy thanked the pioneers who “forged ahead” despite their naysayers while delivering an inspiring toast at the TIME 100 Gala.
The actress recognized the challenges the honorees likely faced on their road to greatness, saying many were told, “you can’t do that” or “that’s not how you should think.” “Everyone in this room simply forged ahead,” she said. “I would like to thank you, in all sincerity, for your anarchy. And I mean that actually—I kind of mean that from the bottom of my heart. Thinking outside the box like that will change the world, and it doesn’t matter how small or how big.”
Read More: Melissa McCarthy Says She Believes in Ghosts
“None of you have picked the easy way,” she added. “There are a lot easier ways to do this than what you’ve all done, and I think we’ve all benefited from it greatly. I think we’re all grateful for it. I just want to say thank you for just going your own direction.”
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow