Jane the Virgin has dealt extensively with the issue of immigration, and its star Gina Rodriguez wants to shine a light on the problem of mistreatment of immigrants under our current system.
During the TIME 100 Gala Tuesday, where she was honored as one of the 100 most influential people in the world by the magazine, she was asked what she thought about the debate over immigration during this presidential election season.
“We need to keep families together and not in detention homes,” Rodriguez said. “The fact that it’s even called that makes you feel uncomfortable knowing that there’s no care for people as human beings.”
Rodriguez is glad the issue is playing a role in the election, but she wants to make sure immigration reform promises aren’t just talk.
“When it comes to the candidates, I’m very excited to see what’s going to be done,” she added. “Conversation is great, but we need to take action.”
- The Inside Story of Princeton's Cinderella Run at March Madness
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement