According to Billboard, Prince’s albums sold 654,000 copies in the U.S. between April 15 and April 24, and his individual songs netted 2.82 million downloads in the same time. The impact of Prince’s death is clear on the sales— the week ending April 21 saw 256,000 album sales; the previous week saw just 5,000. 1.04 million individual songs were sold in the week of his death, compared to 14,000 the previous week.
Four of Prince’s albums jumped to the top 5 sellers on iTunes the day fans learned of his death.
Prince died at age 57 at his Paisley Park estate in Minnesota.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Tessa Berenson at tessa.Rogers@time.com