A conservative Christian group has organized a boycott of Target because the superstore welcomed transgender people to use the bathroom of their choice — and their petition has already been signed by more than half a million people.
The American Family Association has called for fellow conservatives to boycott Target because the store “said it would allow men to use the women’s restrooms and dressing rooms in their stores,” according to the petition.
“This means a man can simply say he “feels like a woman today” and enter the women’s restroom…even if young girls or women are already in there,” the petition continued.
Last week, Target announced that “inclusivity is a core belief,” and despite controversial new laws in some states like North Carolina, “we welcome transgender team members and guests to use the restroom or fitting room facility that corresponds with their gender identity.”
The American Family Association thinks that policy “poses a danger to wives and daughters” and calls for a single occupancy unisex bathroom for trans people to use. “Target’s policy is exactly how sexual predators get access to their victims,” the AFA wrote. “And with Target publicly boasting that men can enter women’s bathrooms, where do you think predators are going to go?”
As of Monday night, nearly 600,000 people had signed the petition.
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time