A conservative Christian group has organized a boycott of Target because the superstore welcomed transgender people to use the bathroom of their choice — and their petition has already been signed by more than half a million people.
The American Family Association has called for fellow conservatives to boycott Target because the store “said it would allow men to use the women’s restrooms and dressing rooms in their stores,” according to the petition.
“This means a man can simply say he “feels like a woman today” and enter the women’s restroom…even if young girls or women are already in there,” the petition continued.
Last week, Target announced that “inclusivity is a core belief,” and despite controversial new laws in some states like North Carolina, “we welcome transgender team members and guests to use the restroom or fitting room facility that corresponds with their gender identity.”
The American Family Association thinks that policy “poses a danger to wives and daughters” and calls for a single occupancy unisex bathroom for trans people to use. “Target’s policy is exactly how sexual predators get access to their victims,” the AFA wrote. “And with Target publicly boasting that men can enter women’s bathrooms, where do you think predators are going to go?”
As of Monday night, nearly 600,000 people had signed the petition.
- How an Alleged Spy Balloon Derailed an Important U.S.-China Meeting
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- Column: Elon Musk Should Not Be in Charge of the Night Sky
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart
- 80 for Brady May Not Be a Masterpiece. But the World Needs More Movies Like This