The sixth season premier of Game of Thrones ended with a reveal. Melisandre disrobed, which on its own is nothing new, but this time she removed her gold and ruby necklace. As she cast it aside, her youth faded and she bore her true form: an old and frail body.
It was a rare moment of vulnerability for the Red Priestess that even caught some of the show’s cast by surprise, according to Variety. While questions remain over Melisandre’s true age, the episode’s revelation was enough to spark strong, sometimes funny reactions on Twitter:
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving