British actor Pearl Mackie has been named the new companion to the Doctor in the 10th season of Doctor Who, the long-running show announced on Saturday.
Mackie—who is currently performing in the National Theatre’s production of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time in London—will appear as a new character, Bill, alongside Peter Capaldi, who stars as the Doctor.
“It’s such an extraordinary British institution, I couldn’t be prouder to call the Tardis my home,” said Mackie, 28, the BBC reported.
The show released a clip from the new season, set to premiere in 2017, showing Mackie and Capaldi running from “the deadliest alien war machine ever devised.”
- Meet TIME’s Newest Class of Next Generation Leaders
- After Visiting Both Ends of the Earth, I Realized How Much Trouble We’re In
- Google Is Making It Easier to Remove Personal Info From Search
- Oil Companies Posted Huge Profits. Here’s Where The Cash Will Go (Hint: Not Climate)
- Column: We Asked Hundreds of Americans About Abortion. Their Feelings Were Complicated
- A Short History of the Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of the Marcos Family
- Long-Lasting Birth Control Is Already Hard to Get. Advocates Worry It May Only Get Worse
- Who Should Be on the 2022 TIME100? Vote Now