British actor Pearl Mackie has been named the new companion to the Doctor in the 10th season of Doctor Who, the long-running show announced on Saturday.
Mackie—who is currently performing in the National Theatre’s production of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time in London—will appear as a new character, Bill, alongside Peter Capaldi, who stars as the Doctor.
“It’s such an extraordinary British institution, I couldn’t be prouder to call the Tardis my home,” said Mackie, 28, the BBC reported.
The show released a clip from the new season, set to premiere in 2017, showing Mackie and Capaldi running from “the deadliest alien war machine ever devised.”
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Katie Reilly at Katie.Reilly@time.com