The city said a strong wave caused a 164-foot piece of the seaside path to detach and fall to the rocks and beach below, CNN reported.
The bike path, which cost $12 million, was part of renovation projects by the city in preparation for the Summer Games. The Olympic torch was lit in Greece on Thursday, and it will arrive in Rio de Janeiro in August, when the games begin.
City officials said engineers who designed the path will now “check and revise” it, CNN reported
- How an Alleged Spy Balloon Derailed an Important U.S.-China Meeting
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- Column: Elon Musk Should Not Be in Charge of the Night Sky
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart
- 80 for Brady May Not Be a Masterpiece. But the World Needs More Movies Like This