Young boxers in New York City took lessons from a nontraditional coach on Thursday, when Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau visited Gleason’s Gym in Brooklyn.
Boxing great Muhammad Ali trained at the historic gym, among other boxing champions.
Thursday’s outing wasn’t that unusual for Trudeau, who boxes regularly and, as a Member of Parliament, participated in a 2012 boxing match for charity, defeating Conservative Senator Patrick Brazeau. The event raised money for cancer research.
TIME broadcast from Gleason’s during Trudeau’s visit via Facebook Live.
- Mickey Guyton Is TIME's 2022 Breakthrough Artist of the Year
- The 10 Best Nonfiction Books of 2022
- Column: What Elon Musk Gets Wrong About Free Speech
- The Forgotten Story of One of the First U.S. Soldiers Killed Overseas After Pearl Harbor
- Why You're More Likely to Get Sick in the Winter, According to New Research
- Column: What the Protests Tell Us About China's Future
- 18 Last-Minute Gifts for Everyone on Your List
- Despite World Cup Heartbreak, the Future Looks Bright for Men's Soccer in the U.S.