Authorities said a firefighter was shot and killed and another was critically injured while responding to a medical call at a house in Prince George’s County in Maryland on Friday night.
No one answered the door when the firefighters knocked, and they were shot when they entered the house, the Washington Post reported.
The firefighter who was killed has been identified as 37-year-old John Ulmschneider, a husband and father. The wounded firefighter has not yet been identified, according to the Post.
A relative, who had become concerned about the occupant of the house and had called for help, was also shot during the incident and sustained non-life threatening injuries, the Post reported.
The occupant, a 61-year-old man, was arrested.
- Zero-COVID Protests in China Have Rattled Global Markets
- Column: Diversity Initiatives Are Failing the U.S. Muslim Community
- Why European Countries Are Giving Teens Free Money To Spend on Books, Music, and Theater
- Republican Skepticism of Trump Has Never Been Higher
- Column: The U.S. Prison System Doesn't Value True Justice
- How Green Is the Qatar World Cup’s Outdoor AC?
- 16 Funny and Whimsical White Elephant Gifts Under $25
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in November 2022