Authorities said a firefighter was shot and killed and another was critically injured while responding to a medical call at a house in Prince George’s County in Maryland on Friday night.
No one answered the door when the firefighters knocked, and they were shot when they entered the house, the Washington Post reported.
The firefighter who was killed has been identified as 37-year-old John Ulmschneider, a husband and father. The wounded firefighter has not yet been identified, according to the Post.
A relative, who had become concerned about the occupant of the house and had called for help, was also shot during the incident and sustained non-life threatening injuries, the Post reported.
The occupant, a 61-year-old man, was arrested.
- Employers Take Note: Young Workers Are Seeking Jobs with a Higher Purpose
- Signs Are Pointing to a Slowdown in the Housing Market—At Last
- Welcome to the Era of Unapologetic Bad Taste
- As the Virus Evolves, COVID-19 Reinfections Are Going to Keep Happening
- A New York Mosque Becomes a Refuge for Afghan Teens Who Fled Without Their Families
- High Gas Prices are Oil Companies' Fault says Ro Khanna, and Democrats Should Go After Them
- Two Million Cases: COVID-19 May Finally Force North Korea to Open Up