A Jackson, Miss. toddler was shot accidentally after her mother’s gun went off in a hospital emergency room.
The bullet grazed the 2-year-old girl’s face, leaving a superficial wound, according to USA Today.
The gun, which was in the mother’s purse, went off after the mother dropped the purse while standing by a vending machine, according to a Merit Health Central hospital spokeswoman. The bullet ricocheted off the machine and hit the child.
“This morning, an isolated incident involving the accidental discharge of a visitor’s weapon occurred on our campus,” hospitals officials said in a statement. “It was addressed quickly, preventing serious harm to the patient and risk to others in the hospital.”
Weapons are not allowed at the hospital, and a police investigation is ongoing to determine if the mother will be charged with a crime.
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time